Many of us grew up with a favorite quilt in our household and many cherish that memory so much that we take up quilting at some point in our lives. We love our quilts so much and wanted to share that passion with you. Here’s our guide that covers everything from the history of quilting to how to get started on your first quilt project.
The History of Quilting and Quilting Museums
Quilting has a rich history and it feels great to be part of that history and pass it on to the next generation.
- America’s Library: How a Quilt is Made
- The History of Quilting from Emporia State University
- The History of Quilts: 19th through 20th Centuries
- What Are Quilts?
- Quilts and Quiltmaking in America, 1978 – 1996 (Library of Congress)
- History in Quilts
- Quilt History
- International Quilt Study Center and Museum
There is a large quilting community in the United States and around the world. You can become part of this larger community by attending shows.
- Quilt Guilds and Shows Worldwide
- The Quilt Index: A Gallery Listing of Quilting Displays
- Quilters’ Travel Companion – Quilt Shows in the United States and Canada
- Your Ultimate Guide to the Best Quilt Shows in the USA
- Quilt Shows and Quilt Events Calendar
Quilting for Charity
Your local quilting group can make a difference in a child’s life by donating your next quilt project to a charity.
- Quilting for a Cause: Charitable Organizations That Need Your Quilts!
- Quilting for Charity: Projects & Quilting Charities
- Quilter’s World Charity Giving: Make a Difference
- Quilts for Kids
- Free Charity Quilt Patterns
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Quilting for Charity
- A Listing of Charities for Quilt and Fabric Donations
- Quilting in America: Charity Quilting
- National Charities That Accept Quilts
Quilting Associations and Societies
A lot of the joy of quilting comes from your local community of quilters. There are many groups that you can become part of from local to national. Many have an online presence.
- The Quilt Alliance
- Quilt Ethnic (The Web’s #1 Quilting Guild Worldwide)
- Quilting Community: A Listing of Registered Quilting Guilds
- International Quilt Association
- Professional Art Quilt Alliance
- Professional Association of Appraisers – Quilted Textiles
- The American Quilt Study Group
- American Quilter’s Society
Learning to Quilt
Getting started is the hardest part. Once you do, you’ll be hooked. Here are some learning tools for the beginner quilter.
- Windham Fabrics Free Quilting Projects
- Gotham Quilts – Free Patterns
- Anita Grossman Solomon’s Hexagon CuttingLines Pattern (video)
- Quilting Tutorials and Patterns
- E-Quilter’s Patterns and Ideas
- The Quilt Index (Lesson Plans)
- Academy of Quilting: Your Online Quilting School
- All People Quilt: Quilting Basics
Quilting for Kids
Quilting is a great learning tool for kids. It teaches patience and discipline and focus. Plus they get to make something beautiful that they can be proud of. Here are some ideas for helping your kids make their first quilt.
- Basic Quilting Supplies for Beginners
- Quilting with Children
- Crafts for Kids: Tree of Life Paper Quilt
- Grandma’s Quilt Paper Craft for Kids
- Quilting Projects for Young Children
- Teaching Quilting History to Kids
- Beginning Patchwork and Teaching Kids to Sew
- Let Your Kids Help Quilt: Tips to Getting Started
Yarn, Tools and Miscellaneous Quilting Supplies
You can’t quilt without the right tools. Here are some references to help you find the supplies and tools you need to become an expert quilter.